These are the general practicum guidelines for both the host-teacher and the student-teacher. Arcturus requirements of completion include:
- Two teaching practicums of 3 weeks each one.
- Students can choose to do one student teaching at the end of Year 2 (Spring) and one during Year 3 (Fall & Winter).
- Students can choose to do both practicums during Year 3 of the training.
- Practicing teachers in the Early Childhood are allowed to schedule one practicum in their own classrooms.
- All practicum plans should be agreed by mentor and mentee and communicated promptly to the Core group of Arcturus.
Before either practicum begins, the practicum student and supervising teacher ought to have at least one consultation to map out expectations for the three weeks ahead. Feedback from the supervising teacher is the student’s most valuable experience, and we hope that the student and the teacher will be able to meet weekly.
During the first week the student should be given the opportunity to observe, assist and begin teaching small segments of the rhythmical part of morning lesson (grade school) or circle time (early childhood). After the first week, the host-teacher should provide feedback to the student so he/she can continue preparing for teaching the whole morning lesson/session for the last two weeks. The host teacher and student should discuss options and decide what the student will teach and how to increase the classes they cover.
The more in-school experiences the student can have, the better; for example, recess duty, festivals or parent evenings. If the faculty is willing, we want the student to attend at least one faculty meeting. The student also needs direct, clear feedback and advice. Both parties need to take notes during planning and feedback conversations with the Arcturus student keeping a journal. The student should also teach extra lessons such as painting or modeling. This would include learning how to assign homework and work with corrections age appropriately in the case of the Grade school setting.
Required Documentation for Completion of Practicum (Checklist):
- The Arcturus Student is encouraged to plan ahead his/her practicums. Year 3 Students will inform the Arcturus Office (email@example.com) no later than September 30th about their student-teaching plans.
- The Arcturus student will provide copies of the grade school lesson plan or early childhood morning circle and/or story to the host teacher, as well as the Arcturus coordinator.
- At the point of completion of the practicum, and after the host-teacher has completed the Practicum Evaluation Form (see forms below), the host-teacher and the Arcturus student will meet to review the process and the evaluation comments.
- The Arcturus student has the responsibility of following-up with the host-teacher to make sure the Evaluation Form was submitted promptly.
Without the completed practicum evaluation form, the Arcturus student will not receive credit for the practicum, which means that there will be no certificate of completion of the teacher training. The completed practicum evaluation form is due two weeks after the practicum is over.
Early Childhood Host-teachers are encouraged to contact Christine Culbert at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Grade School Host-teachers are encouraged to contact Frances Vig at email@example.com with any questions.
DOWNLOAD FORMS HERE:
Grade School Practicum Evaluation Form (completed by host-teacher)
Early Childhood Practicum Guidelines for students